Rolling camera backpacks are perfect for photographers who are traveling and want to carry their gear easily on an airplane, car, bus, boat, trolley or tram.
The portability of a rolling camera bag that can convert to a backpack is essential when traveling. Being able to tuck away the straps and pop out the trolley handle makes a rolling camera backpack the best bag for a photographer who has a lot of lenses and needs to carry an extra camera body and tripod.
And, if you are a wedding photographer, getting your gear on location with the least amount of stress means putting most everything in a bag with wheels.
3 Best Rolling Camera Backpacks for your camera gear:
Article Contents Preview
- 3 Best Rolling Camera Backpacks for your camera gear:
- 1. Lowepro Pro Runner RL x450 AW II Rolling Camera Backpack
- 2. Think Tank Photo Airport Take-Off Rolling Camera Backpack
- 3. Tenba ROADIE II Hybrid Rolling Camera Backpack
- BONUS ROLLING CAMERA BACKPACK:
- Share this:
1. Lowepro Pro Runner RL x450 AW II Rolling Camera Backpack
Looking for a wheeled camera backpack to carry in an urban environment where you need to look like a professional photographer and not a kid on her way to school?
Check out The Pro Runner x450 AW II by LowePro which is a convertible roller/ camera backpack built to organize and protect professional photography gear.
LowePro provides an outstanding wheeled camera backpack that can turn on a dime. Maneuvering easily through busy airports or crowded streets to get to your photoshoot.
LowePro lets you organize lots of gear in order within primary organization zones. Easily adjust your professional camera backpack for all types of kit scenarios. The padded backpanel and waist straps gives your back a break when moving your gear around from location to location.
- Travel-friendly details to help make the journey hassle-free
- YKK locking zippers,
- Front document pockets
- Mesh side pockets for easy access to your water bottle, cords or to stash your lens caps on the go
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Convertible compression/trolley straps
- SlipLock™ attachment loops
- A built-in All Weather AW Cover™ (in a zippered pocket) add ease of use
- Easily converts to a roller: tuck in shoulder straps, remove waistbelt, deploy trolley handle
- Sturdy urethane wheels provide smooth transport
- Sized to meet standard carry-on requirements (45 linear in./114.3 cm)- See your airline for current size and weight restrictions
- Device zone includes dedicated spaces for includes dedicated spaces for a laptop, iPad® or Galaxy® Tab, and Wacom® tablet
- CradleFit™ pockets suspend and protect devices from directly bumping against the ground
- 3D mesh padding on the back panel
- Contoured shoulder straps
- Removable waist belt provide support to carry a substantial amount of gear comfortably
Learn more about Rolling Camera Luggage and Carry-on Camera Bags
This bag is an excellent balance between a camera backpack and wheeled case. The Think Tank Airport Wheeled Camera Bag can be carried by either its dual wheels and retractable handle or via its tuck-away backpack straps that are easily deployed.
It’s perfect for two DSLRs stored either with or without lenses plus additional lenses up to a 400mm f/2.8. In addition, it will accommodate your 15″ laptop as well as some 17″ laptops, depending on the size. The computer is stashed in its own pocket underneath the front flap and easily secured using the included cable and lock – a nice security feature. Internal, padded dividers can be configured to suit your gear needs.
A tripod or monopod can be carried on the side of the Airport Take-Off by using the included straps and tripod cup. Your monopod will neatly fit within a stretchable pocket on the side of the bag and held in place with supplied straps.
- Holds 2 DSLRs with Lenses Attached
- Holds 400mm f/2.8 Lens Plus Other Lenses
- Holds 15″ Laptops / Some 17″ Laptops
- Fits Artificial Intelligence 15 Case
- Cable/Lock Secure Laptop in Place
- Tuck-Away Backpack Straps
- Dual Wheels with Retractable Handle
- Can Hold a Tripod or Monopod
- Movable Internal Dividers
- Top/Side Grab Handles / Lockable Zippers
This is a weatherproof ballistic nylon pack made for DSLR, HD video or medium format photography. It also holds your 17″ (43.2 cm) laptop in its own padded sleeve that is top loading for rapid retrieval at airports. If you don’t use the sleeve for your laptop it can be used for support gear like hard drives or documents.
The pack has dual ball bearing wheels that are complimented by a 4-section retractable handle – great for parking lots, stairs and airports. For added convenience, there are reinforced top and side carry handles that will support the bag even when you’ve got a full load packed inside. The Roadie II has a rear hidden backpack harness that can be readily deployed and leave you hands-free while walking through airports or city streets.
Inside there is an EVA molded interior and padded movable dividers that permit you to sculpt the guts of the bag to accommodate your gear. The soft tricot lining won’t damage the surface of your camera or lenses. Your medium to long range lenses or HD video rig can be packed with hoods on the lenses and tripod collar in place. On the outside, there is front pocket to hold quick-access items such as tickets, passports and keys.
With all this gear, of course you’ll need a tripod and the Roadie II features a quick-connect carry system that will attach just about any size tripod or light stand to the pack. Your quick-release tripod collar can be stashed within the rear pocket of the pack when not required. There is also a fair amount of internal storage space for accessories in laminated mesh pockets that are perfect for your cables, filters, repair kits and other small items. Read Reviews
BONUS ROLLING CAMERA BACKPACK:
If you are looking for something less expensive than a Think Tank or Tenba rolling camera backpack, check out the Ape Case rolling camera backpack. It has most of the same features as the hot branded bags, but is more affordable. This bag comes with a high-vis bright yellow interior, a rain cover, loads of exterior pockets, and a removable trolley system. Check it out to see if this is the bag for you.
Shoot with a Canon? Take a look at the Top 10 Canon Lenses